Saturday, February 19, 2011

to be contained

I've been collecting containers, from suitcases to dry sacks to glass jars: useful and inert spaces for the things I carry.

He said he could feel his cells tearing apart, and that his blankets were made of concrete.  It was enough to send him screaming through the house at 4 am in a half-dream daze, frightening the other students and testing Scott's capacity for calm (he passed).  Typically grounded and rational, an impish smile crept into his features as he relayed the incident: over two days old and fading.

Looking out my window with a cup of tea,  I see my neighbor carrying her toddler, unfazed by the deep drifts of snow and his relentless screaming.

The hardest part about that night was needing desperately to fall apart.

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment